History of Zetland Hall

First hall

The first Masonic Hall in Hong Kong was built in 1846 by The Zetland Lodge No. 525, English Constitution, and was named Zetland Hall in honour of the Lodge that built it.

The Zetland Lodge itself was named as a compliment to the then Grand Master, Thomas, Second Earl of Zetland, who was The Grand Master of the United Grand Lodge of England from 1844 to 1870.

Second hall

Second Zetland HallIn 1865 this hall was replaced by a second larger and more impressive building in Zetland Street in the Central business district. This second Zetland Hall lasted until 1944 when it was destroyed by American bombing; Hong Kong then being under Japanese occupation during the Pacific War of 1941-1945.

In 1946, the site of this hall in Zetland Street was sold to the Hong Kong Electric Company for HKD900,000.

Third hall

Between 1945 to 1950 the Freemasons of Hong Kong met in temporary premises while a site for a new hall was found.

The current site at 1 Kennedy Road, previously the St George Hotel (presumably destroyed also by bomb damage), was subsequently purchased. Plans for a new building had been drawn up by the Masonic internees whilst at Stanley Internment Camp during the war years.

Construction of this hall began in 1949, with the foundation stone being laid on 2 April 1949. Work was finished in January 1950, and the Hall was dedicated to Masonic use in an impressive ceremony on 30 January 1950.

Rededication

On 30 January 2000, a Service of Thanksgiving conducted by W. Bro. The Reverend John Chinchen, assisted by W. Bro. The Hon Mr Justice Godfrey VP, PJGD, was held to mark the 50th Anniversary of the rededication of Zetland Hall.

After the service a new War Memorial in honour of those Freemasons in Hong Kong who fell in the two World Wars was unveiled and dedicated by R. W. Bro. A. E. Gomes, MBE, Provincial Grand Master of the Provincial Grand Lodge of the Far East, Irish Constitution, W. Bro. R.W.C. Mok , MBE, PJGD, Past Deputy District Grand Master, English Constitution, and Bro. David Lam BEM, W. District Grand Bible Bearer, Scottish Constitution, all of whom were interned as Prisoners of War in Hong Kong between 1941-1945.

The second Zetland Hall
Laying of the foundation stone on 2 April 1949
Masonic procession 2 April 1949
The third and current Zetland Hall

Office contact

Zetland Hall

Open from 10.00am daily, except Sundays and public holidays

Office: +852 2522 4404

Fax: +852 2526 5041

 info@zetlandhall.com

Masonic enquiry

Custodian - Peter Prata

Office: +852 2810 7273

Mobile: +852 9380 8557

Meetings: +852 2810 4050 (pre-recorded)

 custodian@zetlandhall.com

Zephyr

Zetland Hall newsletter